Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Pausing on Equality

There's obviously a lot of buzz going on this week about the Supreme Court hearings being done regarding marriage equality & same sex marriage.  With so many different opinions, view points, articles, arguments, & conversations going on, it's challenging to know how to handle things delicately and with grace & truth.  I'm not typically about drawing lines in the sand or demanding that someone accept my beliefs (which is not what this is about) - but with all the debate & confusion, I will stand up for what I believe & not be ashamed of it. 

It's not about hate, it's not about equality, it's not about even about love - it's about truth. I'm not AGAINST any one person or any group of people, but I am FOR an institution that was set as a standard for family & our culture. There's a reason that traditional marriage has been around forever, and there's a reason why it's supposed to be important.  Other people have done a better job at explaining the intent & core reasons for it, so there's no reason for me to reiterate them myself.  (but I'm not opposed to posting the links: thegospelcoalition.org)

This isn't about creating division or forcing an "us vs. them" scenario. I'm not trying to be louder, stronger, or more clever - I just believe that a + b = c, and that's the only equation that works. If you know me, then you know that I'm not a bigot, a hater, or intolerant. If you don't know me, then you can't judge my opinion anymore than I can judge yours. I'm not claiming that my color choice or symbolism is any more important than yours, but in a culture where it's so easy to just jump on a 'band wagon' just because it's cool - I think we need to pause, and think about what we're communicating.

A lot of people are seeing the issue just through the lens of love & hate, equal & unequal, right & wrong, fair & unfair.  Unfortunately, some arguments have only muddied the waters & have made it hard to be clear about the issue.  Standing up for marriage as one man and one woman, doesn't make me ignorant & it doesn't make me filled with hate.   Showing love to any group of people or lifestyle choice, isn't about compromising truth for the sake of compassion.  I can love & accept a person for who they are, without accepting their lifestyle or choices.  It doesn't make me argumentative or narrow minded just because I don't agree with someone. It is possible to stand for something without sacrificing love, and to voice an opposing view point without condemning the rest of the world.

The bottom line is, popular opinion doesn't make something truth, and what's true isn't always popular.  I'm not screaming, yelling, or demanding my voice to be heard over anyone else's - but this is my voice, and it's allowed to be spoken just as much as anyone else.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

*applause*

Unknown said...

Very well written and well rounded approach to a very polarizing issue. I don't get why people cannot understand that it is possible to love all of mankind without compromising truth. Love ya Mark. - Harry